Vegan Mac n’ Cheese
One of my favourite childhood meals was boxed mac n’ cheese. Anyone with me on that?! Of course as I got older and became more aware about what I was putting in my body, I wasn’t asking my mum to buy it for me anymore. Then when I went vegan, mac n’ cheese seemed like a totally far off option. How could I create that savoury deliciousness with just plants? It took a few tries to get it just right, but this sauce is so velvety and divine that it brings me right back to those comforting feels of a childhood bowl of mac. I love to jazz up this dish with the addition of some peas or broccoli stirred through for an extra health boost! The green also just adds a lovely pop of colour. You could also try mixing in some roasted cherry tomatoes, or topping with avocado for a bit of extra creaminess. A sprinkle of sea salt, pepper, and hemp seeds takes the bowl to the next level!
-2 cups cubed butternut or Japanese pumpkin
-1 cup raw cashews
-1/2 cup nutritional yeast
-1 tsp turmeric
-1 tsp smoked paprika
-1 tsp garlic powder
-1 tsp onion powder
-1 tsp mild yellow miso
-1 tsp Dijon mustard
-1 tsp sea salt/pepper
-1/2 cup unsweetened plant milk (almond, soy, oat, coconut)
1. Soak raw cashews in boiling hot water for 30 minutes.
2. Steam cubed pumpkin until soft but not too mushy.
3. Once the cashews and pumpkin are soft, add them to a high-powered blender with the remainder of ingredients.
4. Blend on high until creamy, slowly adding more plant milk if necessary while blending to smooth out the sauce.
5. Pour finished sauce into a pot and heat on low on the stove, just for a few minutes, stirring continuously.
6. Pour heated sauce over your favourite pasta shape, mix well and enjoy!